Free School Meals
Free school meals really do matter, yet too many children from low income families in the UK are not registered for them or choose not to eat them. Many parents do not even realise that their child is entitled to a free school meal.
What are Free School Meals?
Free School Meals pays for a school lunch for your child.
Children must attend a tax-payer funded nursery or school full time. Pupils who attend part time can get Free School Meals for any days they attend both before and after lunch.
Families should apply if they get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190, provided they are not receiving Working Tax Credit
- the ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (you will need to apply directly to the school not Bradford Council)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit.
Why are Free School Meals important?
As well as making sure your child gets a free and nutritionally balanced lunch, getting Free School Meals also means:
- you will receive a uniform allowance of £30 per year from school to help with the cost of school uniform - see our school uniform policy
- you may get help with the cost of your child's residential school trips (you need to speak to your school about this)
My children are going to get a Free School Meal anyway - why do I still need to apply?
If you are on any of the benefits listed above it’s important to still apply as any child registered for Free School Meals may get other help too:
- for every child registered, the school will get a “Pupil Premium”. This means the school gets £1,300 (Primary schools) or £935 (Secondary schools) per year for each child registered. This money is to help your child achieve their best at school.
- help with the cost of residential school trips
- help with travel costs to school
- help with school uniform costs (speak to your school about this)
- help with council run music lessons at school
Who is entitled to a Free School Meal? CLICK HERE
Click HERE to apply online, or call into school and we can do it for you.